Pizza al Taglio (by the Slice) is almost sacred to Romans. They come in endless varieties and almost inevitably they are delicious. It’s the only fast food concept that everyone loves. Pizzerias by the slice are very popular, especially during lunchtime, because students or tourists, families or workers can easily spot them and make the most of their lunch break in less than an hour. You simply pick your favourite(s), you decide how big or small you want your slice and you’ll pay by weight. You may eat it standing up, in the street or on a table. Curious to get the best addresses in the capital? Let’s first discover 5 important rules to know about Roman pizza by the slice!
ROME’S PIZZA BY THE SLICE: 5 ESSENTIAL RULES
- The dough is low and the bottom is so crispy!
- The top is soft.
- It must be cooked at 300° in an electric oven for about 8-15 minutes.
- Roman pizza is very hydrated, to create the pores you see inside!
- Their shape is rectangular, to be cut and served in pieces of the chosen size.
THE BEST 5 ROMAN PIZZERIAS BY THE SLICE
50 Top Pizza, a free online guide dedicated to the tastiest Italian symbol, has recently published its 2021’s guide on the 50 Best Pizzas on the Road in Italy – by the slice and takeaway, an irresistible invitation to try most of them while you’re in the country!
Barbara Guerra, Albert Sapere and the journalist Luciano Pignataro, in partnership with S.Pellegrino and Acqua Panna, drew up this ranking and added 5 Roman addresses. Let’s find out which ones made it to the top!
1. “PIZZARIUM” DI BONCI
It made it to the very top of the 50 best pizzerias ranking, but this is a confirmation for Pizzarium, located in Via della Meloria, the first opened by Gabriele Bonci in 2003. For those of you who don’t know his name, Gabriele Bonci is a multi-award winner, who brought a revolution on leavening techniques in Italy. This place offers more than 30 flavours every day and on Fridays, you might find, as per tradition, fish fillings. His supplì (rice balls) are legendary.
Via della Meloria, 43 – Rome
Ph. +39 (0)6 3974 5416
2. LIEVITO PIZZA, PANE
The project was started by a young chef, named Francesco Arnesano. According to Luciano Pignataro, one of 50 Top Pizza’s editors “the one with potatoes is out of this world and the supplì alla carbonara is extraordinary because it exalts the flagship dish of Italian cuisine, preserving the creaminess of the egg with a modern touch”. The perfect address to have a snack or a lunch break, or even a good happy hour in the evening”. Lievito Pizza, Pane hit the 11th position in the ranking.
Viale Europa, 339 – Rome
Ph. +39 (0)6 6936 3592
3. ANTICO FORNO ROSCIOLI
A real must-visit if you are in Rome. Antico Forno Roscioli rightfully occupies the ranking’s third position among the best pizzerias in Rome. This bakery has been there, in Via dei Chiavari, 34 since 1972 and has been run by the Roscioli family for 3 generations! Their specialties include pizza and focaccia in the Roman oven tin and baked goods that they also distribute in hotels and restaurants. It hit the 12th position in the general ranking.
Via dei Chiavari, 34 – Rome
Ph. +39 (0)6 686 4045
4. PANE E TEMPESTA
Pane e Tempesta (literally, bread and storm) was founded in 2014 by Fabrizio Franco and Omar Abdel Fattnhel, in the residential Monteverde district, a stone’s throw from Trastevere and Porta Portese (the capital’s address for the biggest flea market in the city!). The name was inspired by Stefano Benni’s novel and the project is mainly dedicated to pizza alla pala (on a shovel). The specialties are their pizza tongues, made with a mix of wheat flours and accompanied by a small selection of craft beers. The toppings are unusual but exquisite, such as the lingua with yellow tomato, oregano and dehydrated black garlic. In the general ranking, this made it to the 19th position.
Via Giovanni De Calvi, 23 – Rome
Ph. +39 (0)6 8772 5015
5. ANGELO E SIMONETTA
A long history that dates back to 1987: Angelo Iezzi gave a name to the Roman sliced pizza, introducing the concept of the 96-hours-long leavening time. Today he is considered a master all over the country and abroad: pizza maker, restaurateur, entrepreneur, food consultant, founder of the National School of Pizza and above all president of Api (Italian Pizzerias Association). Angelo Iezzi is an institution in the world of pizza and his gem hit the 30th position in the general ranking.
Via Nomentana, 581 – Roma
Ph. +39 (0)6 8718 8853
Discover all the places that were added to the “The 50 Best Traveling Pizzas in Italy – by the slice and takeaway – 2021:
- Pizzarium – Roma, Lazio
- La Masardona – Napoli, Campania
- Oliva Pizzamore – Acri (CS), Calabria
- Saporè Pizza Bakery – San Martino Buon Albergo (VR), Veneto
- Tellia – Torino, Piemonte
- Sancho – Fiumicino (RM), Lazio
- ‘O Fiore Mio Pizze di Strada – Bologna, Emilia-Romagna
- Granocielo – Avezzano (AQ), Abruzzo
- Grotto Pizzeria Castello – Caggiano (SA), Campania
- Gina Pizza – Ercolano (NA), Campania
- Lievito Pizza, Pane… – Roma, Lazio
- Antico Forno Roscioli – Roma, Lazio
- La Divina Pizza – Firenze, Toscana
- Panificio Menchetti – Arezzo, Toscana
- Alimento – Brescia, Lombardia
- Forno Brisa – Bologna, Emilia-Romagna
- 1947 Pizza Fritta Napoli – Napoli, Campania
- Pizzeria Cocco – Sassari, Sardegna
- Pane E Tempesta – Roma, Lazio
- Kalavrì – Catanzaro, Calabria
- Piedigrotta 2 Express – Il Pizz’ino – Alessandria, Piemonte
- Pizzeria Campana Dal 1990 – Corigliano Calabro (CS), Calabria
- PorzioNi di pizza – Napoli, Campania
- Pistamentuccia – Bologna, Emilia-Romagna
- Scrocchia – Bergamo, Lombardia
- Ghevido – Sesto Fiorentino (FI), Toscana
- Pizzeria Paco Linus & Luca Iannicelli – Napoli, Campania
- Pizzeria Da Filomena – Castrovillari (CS), Calabria
- Lievitamente – Viareggio (LU), Toscana
- Pizzeria a taglio Angelo & Simonetta – Roma, Lazio
- Il Pizzicotto – Lecce, Puglia
- Pane Pizza e… – Vicenza, Veneto
- Romanorvm Pizza Romana – Trieste, Friuli-Venezia Giulia
- Bianca Pizza Artigianale – Jesi (AN), Marche
- Pizzeria Al Trancio Da Charlotte – Albenga (SV), Liguria
- Pizzeria Mary Rose – Napoli, Campania
- Rivoluzione Pizza Bembo – Padova, Veneto
- Ben Cotta – Bologna, Emilia-Romagna
- PezZ de Pane – Frosinone, Lazio
- Sauardò – Civitanova Marche (MC), Marche
- Officine Bartolini – Perugia, Umbria
- Compagnia della Pizza – Giulianova (TE), Abruzzo
- Panificio Graziano – Palermo, Sicilia
- 50 Teglie – Torino, Piemonte
- Panificio Di Gesù – Altamura (BA), Puglia
- Ibris – focacce e pizze – Trento, Trentino-Alto Adige
- 5 Lire – Potenza, Basilicata
- Storie di Pane – Vallo della Lucania (SA), Campania
- L’Orso in teglia – Messina, Sicilia
- 20 Pizza & Delicious in Teglia – Cava de’ Tirreni (SA), Campania
FORNO VERDE (GREEN OVEN) 2021
A new feature of this year’s edition was the Forno Verde prize, an acknowledgement of environmental sustainability that was awarded to Bonci’s Pizzarium in Rome and Grotto Pizzeria Castello in Caggiano (Salerno).
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Born in Salento and adopted by Rome, Mauro Orrico has a degree in Political Science from La Sapienza University and a Masters in International Human Rights Protection. He has collaborated with Rai3, Rai Educational and La7d. For 16 years he has also been organising electronic music and independent culture events. In 2014 he founded FaceMagazine.it, of which he is the editorial director.